In January Save the Children launched it’s most ambitious campaign to date, No Child Born to Die. Every year 8 million children under five die from illnesses we know how to treat or prevent, such as diarrhoea and pneumonia. Save The Children is focusing on the provision of vaccinations and healthcare workers. In June there is a meeting in London hosted by David Cameron and attended by other world leaders. Save The Children aims to make as much noise as possible to ensure the funding shortfall for vaccinations (4.7 billion) is met by all the donor countries. If this funding gap is met the vaccines that could then be provided would save the lives of millions of children.
This week 3 bloggers/ vloggers are going to Mozambique to follow the journey of a vaccine from the coldstore in the city right down to a rural community. They will write, make films and tweet about their experiences, the children and families they meet and the challenges of “cold” vaccinations in hot countries.
This Challenge is designed to support their work – to spread the word about their No Child Born to Die campaign and to highlight the funding shortfall for vaccines. We are so lucky that our children [and grandchildren] can have the future they've always dreamed of. We have all the things we take for granted in our everyday lives - medicines, education and even clean water from our taps.
So our challenge is simple:
1) Get your child [or grandchild] to either draw or craft a self portrait of themselves now or in the future.
2) Sign the Save the Children petition and then pass it onto your friends
3) Write a blog post about it as soon as possible, including info about Save the Children and the petition. We want as many people linked up AND signed up the petition by Sunday 29th May 2011
4) Tag 8 fellow blogger friends
5) Come back and link up your posts, so we can all share your craftiness
6) If you have time, visit each other posts and say hello!
And don’t forget to follow all the action in Mozambique on Twitter using the hastag #PassItOn.
I've added my name to the petition so now why don't you?
oh and I'm tagging @JewelLucia, @TravellingSailsman, @GreenShoot, @DolfijnsTravels, @WGAW @OnAnIslandInTheSun @OnKudu, @FollowThe Boat - its up to each of you whether you want to take part or not but I believe this is one challenge where what we share can make a difference.